Re: Oracle8 Certified for NT4 sp4 ???

From: Mike DeVito <mdevito_at_nospam.ingr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:48:25 +0200

According to our friends at support, you have to go to 8.0.5. This is due to changes in the Heap Manager implemented in SP4. However, there is a workaround described by Microsoft (below). It involves making a registry entry for executables to be excluded from the new Heap Manager algorithm

Haven't tried this though. Has anyone out there given it a go?

-MIke

At present, Oracle products are certified/supported with Windows NT Service Pack4 starting in version 8.0.5 and 8.1.5 (Oracle8i). Previous database versions and other Oracle products experiencing problems with NT SP4 will be subject to being patched on a per case basis.

For these kinds of issues the Oracle Support Services center must be contacted
by phone for follow up.

The main reason for this is that SP4 introduces a change in the heap manager allocation patterns that can result in a failure of certain memory reallocation requests. In addition, a great number of NT files have also been
changed in SP4.

For more information on this change, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

        ARTICLE-ID: Q195008
        TITLE     : Heap Manager Change in Service Pack 4

This article provides a MICROSOFT resolution to issues with NT SP4. Access from the following URL:
 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q195/0/09.asp