Re: What would be faster BEQ or TCP to Localhost?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:58:03 +0100

It probably ought to be BEQ, but really you have to test it on your own platform with your own application.

The main performance difference may come from the 'pipe' between the two foreground and shadow - tcp defaults to about 1500 bytes on 'remote' links, but is often 4K or 8K on loopback; BEQ usually uses the local memory page size which is often 4K or 8K anyway but can be 32K.

Then - you can set the SDU and TDU on
the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora to tell Oracle how big the pipeline is.

Then it's only useful to have a big pipeline if you have a lot of data passing back and fore in large chunks (e.g. array fetches).

--

Jonathan Lewis