Advice on storing Upper/Lower case Key values then doing case insensitive searching; Phonetic matching.

From: Jeffrey Wilkinson <jeff_at_atrax.net.au>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 99 01:30:56 GMT

I'm looking for a good way to record key values that invlove upper/lower case characters. I need to be able to order and search the key columns in a case insensitive way.

For example, I record the First and Surnames for people. I want to be able to record the names in the format that they are to be displayed (e.g, Mr Peter McAlistair) but I want to be able to index and search the information so that the case is irrelevant. The only way that I can think of now is to have one column to record the display value and then a second column to record the value that is to be searched and indexed.

Also, I'm looking for some utilities that will enable the generation of phonetic keys so that, for example, Smith, Smythe, and Smit are regarded as similar names.

Jeff Received on Thu Jul 08 1999 - 20:30:56 CDT