Re: Oracle Replication and Parallel Server

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:08:46 +0100

Just to muddy the waters:

Peter's comment about the application not being OPS-designed is a very important warning.

However, if it is possible to partition the data cleanly and then ensure that the MQSeries source passes the correct data to the correct instance, then the potential for scalability is high.

One of my more recent designs had to handle millions of updates and inserts per hour, and the constraints of the environment actually dictated that the only viable solution was an OPS solution. Fortunately there was a clean partitioning algorithm that could be enforced about 99.999% of the time, and this was sufficient to allow the method to work.

Having said that, the same throughput could (probably) have been achieved without OPS by migrating to a massively powerful SMP system.

--

Jonathan Lewis

P.S. Why does the Microsoft spell-check want to change

    MQSeries to 'Miseries' ? ;)