Re: Oracle8 now installed on RH6 - what next?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 18:01:05 +0200

Hi Kevin,
Generally speaking for Unix ports of Oracle the following rules for privileged users apply
- anyone in the dba group can use connect internal without password - anyone outside the dba group needs to have the internal password or a different privileged (SYSDBA privilege) account maintained by the password file
- by default only internal can connect privileged (remote_login_passwordfile = none in init<sid>.ora in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs) - If you change that parameter to shared, SYS and internal can connect privileged
- If you change the same parameter to exclusive any user with SYSDBA privilege can do that
- internal is going to be obsolete in a future release This is documented in the Oracle Server Administrators guide. Usually Oracle doesn't cut down trees anymore, and the docs come as HTML or PDF. You can order it as a bunch of trees, but that's very expensive.

Before you startup a database you need to define and export at least ORACLE_SID
ORACLE_HOME
usually that is done by running
. oraenv (which should have been copied to /usr/lbin or /usr/local/bin or /opt/bin, whatever is appropiate for your platform) I and probably others would be glad to help you whenever you come up with more specific error messages

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA