Re: Database links...again

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:33:49 +0100

I don't think setting SDU will make any difference because you are implicitly using single row fetches in the loops, so the volume of data being passed is much less than the default SDU anyway.

Are both instances configured identically ? Have you traced the SQL that hits the remote instance to see what it actually does, and if it is in some way different from the local SQL, or if its performance characteristics are different (does one database have 10 times as many objects at the other ?)

The other thing to bear in mind is that a single instance test may operate fully in memory, but when the two instances have to be running concurrently they may be forcing each other to swap to disc all the time.

Try the test with:

  1. Using a loopback connection as the 'remote'
  2. doing a test with local looping inside the remote
  3. remote looping inside a local to see if the results give you any further clues.

BTW - SDU has to be set in both the tnsnames.ora and the listener.ora to be effective.

--

Jonathan Lewis