Re: Recreate index because of ORA-600

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:13:21 +0100

I wouldn't second-guess Oracle support on the meaning of the parameters to ORA-00600.

The thing about ANALYZE INDEX is that it checks the internal consistency of the index blocks, it does NOT check that the rowid stored in the index actually point to rows that really exist in the table, and that may be your problem.

You could ask Oracle to tell you the event that can be used to dump the index tree count, then do a 'select count(*) from table' and see if the two sets of results match - this __might__ confirm for you that you have an index that is not consistent with the table it is pointing at, at least for the indexes where at least one column was declared non-null.

Actually I suppose you could do:

    select /*+ index (t, index_name) */ coiunt(*) from table t; to get the same effect, and perhaps to find the guilty index. Same restriction on non-null columns though.

--

Jonathan Lewis