Re: foreign keys

From: karsten reincke <kreincke_at_cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 17:02:40 +0200

joe wrote:

> I'm in the process of restructuring a database that uses triggers to enforce
> referential integrity instead of foreign keys.
> If I were to drop the triggers and use foreign keys(fully indexed), what
> performance gains, if any, would I see? I guess I'm trying to decide
> whether it's worth the effort.
> Thanks

do you wan't an open answer? ok:

(1) to use a relational database without any foreign key is to use an unrelational database. and that is not state of the art. (2) do you mean that any trigger can do the work in any sense better than the oracle-rdbs created by a team which has have to think about such fundamental tasks?

--

       salut d'Allemagne kr

les chats cont les vrais hédonistes
et devraient être donc notre idéal.

 karsten reincke [ 0541/9696223 ]
 kreincke_at_cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de Received on Thu Jul 08 1999 - 10:02:40 CDT