Re: Linux and ODBC

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:01:44 +0200

Maruti Sharma wrote in message <7m0kui$2fk$1_at_plo.sierra.com>...
>Are there ODBC drivers available for Oracle on Linux?
>If yes then where can I get them...

Why? ODBC is a -client- driver. Not a server driver. ODBC is a -Microsoft- -proprietary- standard for -Window- client applications. Do you have Linux client applications that actually require an ODBC driver? To my knowledge, the number of UNIX-based software products that actually require a Microsoft Windows driver implementation on UNIX are far and few in between.

Seeing that ODBC is specifically designed for Windows and the specification is controlled by Microsoft, but not so humble opinion it to stay -far- away from developing or using ODBC based software for UNIX.

The reason I'm jumping on this issue about ODBC on UNIX is because of a total misconception of some people about the ODBC "standard".

I had some idiot (and MD of a company) telling one of my client that the reason why his product (a MDB product) can not hook into Oracle on Pyramid/Siemens Nixdorf Nile boxes (both the MDB engine and Oracle were running on the -same- platform), was.. and wait for this.. because the vendor (i.e. Siemens Nixdorf) do not have ODBC drivers for Oracle available. What a bunch of croc. And this after he specifically stated in the sales presentation before the purchase that integration between his product and Oracle will be a seamless server to server connection. Yeah right... The only good salesman is a decomposing one at the bottom of the ocean...

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Jul 08 1999 - 08:01:44 CDT