Truncating trailing spaces on Oracle8

From: Homepages <tom.hartley_at_homepages.ltd.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:34:59 +0100

Hi

I've got a problem with truncating trailing spaces on Oracle 8. I develop on my PC using Personal Oracle 7 and Oraperl, and then upload to the server which runs Oracle 8

If I do 'UPDATE props SET postcode = :1 WHERE ...' and then bind :1 to 'CR2 ' (note the trailing space), it actually updates it to 'CR2' (with no trailing space). It doesn't do this on Personal Oracle 7.

How can I get it to actually take all four characters of 'CR2 ' and NOT truncate the trailing space? Is there a database option I can put into INIT.ORA? Is this a new 'feature' of Oracle 8 or is it a shortcoming of Personal Oracle 7?

All help gratefully accepted

tom

Tom Hartley                         +44 181 763 2445
Technical Director              tom.hartley_at_homepages.co.uk
Homepages Ltd                 www.homepages.co.uk

          HOMEpages - Site of your next home in the UK