Re: Linux and ODBC

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:40:15 -0400

Hi:

Could you clarify your question?

  1. Will Oracle ODBC drivers for Microsoft Windows clients work against an Oracle database on Linux? The answer is "yes". In fact, Oracle ODBC drivers for MS Windows clients will work against an Oracle database on ANY platform. SQL*Net/Net8 provides the database middleware layer that makes this possible.
  2. Are there ODBC drivers that will allow a Linux client to talk to an Oracle database. The answer is "no" (at least, not to my knowledge). ODBC as (client software) does not exist for any platform other than Microsoft Windows (again, to my knowledge). Consider the Oracle precompilers, Oracle OCI, JDBC, etc.

Hope this helps.

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site