Re: Send email on HP-UX Oracle server?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 22:41:57 +0800

Kathy Graham wrote:

> Hi Folks;
> I need to be able to send e-mail that is fired off via a trigger. I
>
> have found an example in the Oracle PL/SQL programming book (Feuerstein)
>
> that uses the UNIX mail-x package. It involves some C functions that
> call the OCI library. Theoretically, once it is linked and compiled, I
> should be able to send mail from my PL/SQL code.
>
> Also, I found some references to using DBMS_PIPE for similar
> functionality. A few questions:
>
> - 1) Has anyone else done mail with the above configuration, and before
> I start trying to following this up, have a better alternative to offer?
>
> - 2) The example was tested using Oracle 8.0.3 and Solaris 2.5.1. Has
> anyone used this example and/or moved it over to HP-UX? Comments?
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> Kathy Graham
> I.T. Engineer/ Engineering Operations/HP Labs
> Telnet 236-2422
> kathy_graham_at_nomail.hpl.hp.com

Go to http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte (or email Thomas himself) and ask for a copy of PLEX. This is a facility using dbms_pipe and Pro*C to allow any host commands to be run from PL/SQL (and the doco explicitly quotes a mail example)...

Alternatively use external procedures to achieve the same

HTH :-o
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Wed Jul 07 1999 - 09:41:57 CDT