What's required for minimal Web DB?

From: CoooolHottttt... <CoolJerk42_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 00:28:29 -0700

I'm tired (...of being admired...) of trying to wade through all the w.oracle docs and ads for their Plethora of Products. Enterprise this...Server that....Jeez... Wot do you actually need just to get a "basic" web db up using Oracle?

And I don't need whitewalls.

My suspicions are just 8i plus WebDB, but perhaps that is too inflexible
(on the HTML side) so

maybe the Java Virtual Machine is required in which case I guess I'll also (or instead of WebDB) need JServer.

Or would I need JDeveloper (which also requires Application Server... you see what I mean?)

And would a "virtual machine" be considered a form of nanotechnology?

And what about WebDB? Does it give you a fairly static set of templates, or can we develop our own and let our creative graphics/html gal go nuts developing her own look
(while I handle the db stuff down in the cellar...along with the
rats....).

And don't tell me RTFM since they all read more like ad copy these daze...

I mean Oracle touts 8i as being internet ready, blah, blah, but how many add-ons do you actually need
to get the thing useable over the Globe-Wide-Web (I'm trying to cut down on over-usage of w's)?

And what about these Oracle newsgroups? What's really the difference between .server, .tools, .misc., .kvetch, etc.? Seems like a lot of similar questions all over the place. Don't you guise have a faq stashed somewhere to define these things?

Or should I just go with SQL Slaver and migrate to Oracle when we start getting 4 billion "hits" per hour or whatever... Start small, but hold onto your delusions of grandeur..

Questions, questions.... maybe I should divide all this up into 20 different posts..and I could cross-post them too...

And is there a version of Oracle that will run on my Commodore 64? No?
How about msql then?

No, seriously though....I'm laughing through my tears...

(Please answer ALL questions in strict order
beginning.......
NOW!)
(or I'll post AGAIN!)