Re: rebuild indexes

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:12:03 +0100

Okay,
I understand the question now.

All the values in INDEX_STATS are purely dynamic. Oracle calculates them on the fly as it reads through the index. Consequently there is no concept of 're-initiliasing' the figure, it just drops out of whatever the index contains at the time.

Since it is

    index height plus (average rows per key / 2)

then the index height MIGHT drop by 1 (or even 2) when you rebuild the index, but for 'low grade' non-unique indexes the (average rows per key / 2) is likely to be the most significant bit, and that won't change because it is purely a measure of the actual data

--

Jonathan Lewis

<7ltbv0$m11$1_at_mailint03.im.hou.compaq.com>...