Oracle Replication and Parallel Server

From: Ajax <size18_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:01:30 -0400

Looking for opinions (of which there has never been a shortage) regarding the appropriate use of Advanced Replication and Parallel Server in our application architecture.

Our database acts as the primary data store for a transactional queue that sits "above" it using MQSeries. The transactions must be written to the database in a timely manner, but the queue guarantees their delivery (just go with it).

My peers have suggested that we employ Parallel Server to allow massive throughput and fast transactional capability to insure that the database server can handle the 3 million transactions per hour peak volume. I contend that parallel server addresses high availability via fail-over, and does little to improve the "performance" of such a system. The performance in this instance comes from the responsiveness of the queue.

My suggestion is to use advanced replication across two or three geographically separate multi-masters that can synchronize at regular intervals. This addresses fail-over and disaster-recovery in a way that is not currently possible. The logged transactions must be highly available (99.9%) for query, but the high-level application must be 100% available. Non-stop hardware is less important than redundancy. Transactional integrity must be maintained and the system must be able to restore data lost as a result of mass media failure.

Can I get a sanity check for this?

Also, it looks like this is turning into a CORBA system in the front and middle. Any comments on that with regard to our volume?

Thanks!
Ajax Received on Tue Jul 06 1999 - 11:01:30 CDT