Help with rollback problems

From: Graeme Hinchliffe <graeme_at_u-net.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:20:19 GMT

Hiya

        I have recently started working with Oracle 8.0.5. The task I am trying to achieve is to copy a large number of rows from one table to another to speed up a query. The number of rows is around the 200,000 figure from a table of about 1 million. The problem I am getting is that when I run my query (which annoyingly worked first time) I get this error:

ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 9 with name "RG3" too small

I have tried to adjust the rollback setings with the Oracle Storage manager, but whenever I set a new rollback segment to Online I then cannot access it any longer and get the error..

ERROR initializing rollback ORA-00942 table or view does not exist. If I right click on a rollback segment it crashes the client!

I have tried increasing the size of the RBS table to 100 Meg but still get this error (it was initially set to about 10K!! (would I need to add a new rollback segment for it to use this new space that I have added?

Also is there a way of turning off the rollback, so data is writen directly to the db without going through the rollback ??

Please help.. this is driving me nuts..

Thanx in advance

Graeme Received on Tue Jul 06 1999 - 08:20:19 CDT