Re: Upgrading Questions

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:18:55 -0400

bigrandyc_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> We are in the preliminary stages of upgrading our 7.3.2 Oracle DBMS to
> 8.0.5. Have a few questions for anyone that has done this upgrade:
>
> 1) Did your stored procedures work after the upgrade as they were, or
> did you have to make any changes to them right off?
Yes -- no problems. However you should read the release notes carefully to see if there are any local changes that you might have to make (e.g., if you have stored procedures that use some exotic but undocumented features,...)

> 2) Did you use an export file or a full backup to restore the data in
> the database?

*ALWAYS* do a full, cold backup & an export before any sort of upgrade. You can never be too careful. That said, we have migrated two databases using the migration utility & had no real problems (just make sure you have plenty of empty space in the SYSTEM tablespace -- at least 60% -- and make sure you get the latest migration instructions from Meta-Link if you decide to go that route.)

--

Vincent Ventrone    |  The MITRE Corp.
DBA, Dept. R101     |  M/S C020