Re: Microsoft Transaction Servr and XA

From: <p_m_hegt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:14:24 GMT

In article <37751e29_at_news.swol.de>,
  "BerndUttenweiler" <bernduttenweiler_at_swol.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to understand how MTS and XA cooperates.Please clarify following
> items:
>
> * MTS and MS DTC coordinates transactions with OLE Transaction
> Protocoll.This can be mapped to XA Protocoll (for use of Oracle for
> example).Oracle8 provides on client side (which resides on MTS
Computer)
> XA80.DLL.But who maps OLE Transaction to XA?
I think MSDTC.

> * If Components are set to transactional in their properties (using
MTS
> Expolorer) I guess XA is needed.(Is this right?)
That is correct. MTS/MSDTC coordinate the Oracle transactions using the XA protocol. (In contrast, MS SQL Server uses the Microsoft OLE Transactions protocol which is implemented in MSDTC and the MS OLEDB Provider for SQL Server)

> If they are set to non-
> transactional , is XA still needed?

Then not, but this is not recommended because then you would not have ACID transactions!

> Thanx a lot for bringing light into my XA darkness!!
>
> Bernd Uttenweiler

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 06 1999 - 03:14:24 CDT