Re: What is a better career? HELP ME

From: ILLINI012 <illini012_at_aol.com>
Date: 05 Jul 1999 07:14:14 GMT

>Hello, All
>
>I am going to look for a job to do with Oracle. Basically I have two choice:
>to be an Oracle DBA or Oracle application developer.
>
>As an application developer, some companies may require the skill of
>Developer 2000, some of them may require the skill of Visual Basic. It's
>possible that a new development tool become more powerful and popular in
>five or ten years time. So developers need to move to the new area. And the
>skills they have now may become useless at that time.
>
>Does the some thing happen on an Oracle DBA? I know that Oracle database
>will be improved continually. So DBAs need to follow the changes, but the
>skills they have now will still be useful in the future. Is it likely that
>Oracle will be replaced by another/new DBMS? If it happen, it will be very
>bad for Oracle DBAs because their skills will not be valuable.
>
>I want to have a secure career that allows me keep going all the way. It
>wastes time if I have to move from one product to another again and again.
>What is better for me (DBA or developer)? Which area needs more people?
>Which area is easier to get a job? Which area can people get more pay?
>What's the most popular development tool for Oracle DB?
>
>You may suggest me something other than these two. Any opinions are
>appreciated.
>
>Phillip

I am thinking of becoming an Oracle DBA myself. I just want to say there is no such thing as permanently job security in the IT world without continual training. What is valuable today is almost guaranteed to be not valuable five years down the road. So if you can't stand fast paced environment where you MUST continue to learn constantly on new technologies and methodologies, IT field is not the field you want to get into.

Jinsoo
MCSE+I Received on Mon Jul 05 1999 - 02:14:14 CDT