RE-Orging strategies

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:54:34 -0400

A DBA at my account generally likes to re-create databases from scratch to do a re-org, and can afford to do so because the databases are a couple of Gigs
at best. I'm wondering though about doing full imports as sys or system.
All of my exports are done with compress=Y, and when I drop users cascade,
I've had no problem re-importing a full export file to do the job. What I'm wondering
though is, what's the diff between doing it as sys or system. I could sware that even
if I do things as sys, I get messages to effect of " Not doing this, object already exists",
meaning that stuff from running catproc, etc., a long time ago is still there, so it's not
going to pop stuff on top of it. So if importing as either sys or system does not engage
in a full replacement of the database (is that right?), then what's the advantage of using
one or the other. I suspect sys will import sys's objects, and system will not, but
neither option engages in a full replacement, does it?