Re: Linux -v- NT for 8.0.5 + OAS 4.0.7 + Apache/IIS ??

From: Phillip W Ross <ross1_at_unixs-eval.cis.pitt.edu>
Date: 4 Jul 1999 19:10:25 GMT

In article <7lkh89$2mb$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, bonanos_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>Fact: Linux has a limititation in the *operating system* that makes it
>slower than NT specifically related to the serving of web pages.
>NT doesn't have this limitation.

Sorry guy, these Mindcraft/PCWeek benchmarks only show that Linux was not able to scale as well as NT on that particular hardware serving out STATIC web pages. No dynamic pages and/or databse backend was being run on these setups.

        These benchmarks were done on monster machines capable of hiding overhead that NT may have in these situations. The original poster's budget had nowhere near the capacity to obtain machines that the benchmarks were run on.

        Furthermore, the lowest performing numbers in the benchmark showed that the configuration which was Linux on a single CPU, was capable of saturating tons of bandwith, to the tune of 344Mbps as I recall.

        While you find it easy to recall useless, worthless benchmarks comparing OSes, I find it easier to recall all the bugs and security holes in IIS, the latest one being very very bad. It really changed my mind about using IIS anymore.

        So I guess you have to prioritize stuff in order of importance... speed? scalability (both scaling up and down)? functionality? security? cost? others? Reciting benchmarks isnt going to help anybody, even worse it can mislead them. Probably best to talk about personal experience instead.

--
Phillip Ross
Financial Information Systems