Re: Index-Organized Tables Bug Found!!!

From: Erik <ecotsonas_at_saraswati.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 18:19:51 GMT

In article <7lie8b$bb1$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Erik <ecotsonas_at_saraswati.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any real world experience with Index-Organized
tables?

> I have 2.5GB of data. A B*Tree index on the primary key uses about
> 2.2GB. It is currently partitioned on a date column for quarters and
> there are a couple of secondary indexes.
>
> I am going to test converting this to an index-organized table, and
was
> just looking for feedback from anyone who might have done something
> like this already.
>
> Known drawbacks:
> I know you can't create secondary bitmap indexes and secondary index
> queries don't execute in parallel currently.
>
> Any pros/cons would be great.
>
> --
> Erik
> Consultant
> Saraswati Systems Corporation - (SSC)

Well I found a bug in Oracle 8.1.5 on Digital Unix. When I try to create an index-organized table as follows:

CREATE TABLE EMP_IOT

 ( EMPNO     NUMBER(4)     NOT NULL,
   ENAME     VARCHAR2(10),
   JOB       VARCHAR2(9),
   MGR       NUMBER(4),
   HIREDATE  DATE,
   SAL       NUMBER(7,2),
   COMM      NUMBER(7,2),

   DEPTNO NUMBER(2),
   EMP_TYPE NUMBER,
   CONSTRAINT EMP_IOT_PK PRIMARY KEY (EMPNO)  )
ORGANIZATION INDEX TABLESPACE JCI_DATA
PCTTHRESHOLD 20 OVERFLOW TABLESPACE JCI_DATA; INSERT INTO EMP_IOT AS SELECT * FROM EMP; <**** ORA-600

The insert as select causes an ORA-600 error.

I have been able to create the table be doing a create table as select. I have sent this to Oracle, but have not gotten a TAR# back yet --
Erik
Consultant
Saraswati Systems Corporation - (SSC)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 13:19:51 CDT