Re: How to create an Instance

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 14:01:22 -0400

"A. López" wrote:
> I'm using Oracle 8 on AIX 4.2 and I'd like to know if it is possible to=

> create an instance without Oracle installer.Is there any utility to do
Yes -- you can create one or more *.sql scripts & execute it/them in Server Manager (shell program "svrmgrl".) If you use the Oracle Installer at least once to create an instance (say sid "moe") it will leave behind two scripts named "crdbmoe.sql" & "crdb2moe.sql". You can simply copy these (with new names) to a new "create" directory, as well as copying the "initmoe.ora" & "initmoe_0.ora" created by the installer to a new "pfile" directory, and edit them to suit your needs. However, editing these files correctly requires fairly detailed knowledge of how an Oracle instance is put together. Try getting a copy of a book like the "Oracle DBA Handbook" by Kevin Loney for help on taking this route. =

Good luck...
-- =

Vincent Ventrone    |  The MITRE Corp.
DBA, Dept. R101     |  M/S C020
vav_at_mitre.org       |  202 Burlington Rd.
(781) 271-7048      |  Bedford, MA 01730