Re: Database synchronization?

From: Glen Upreti <Glen.Upreti_at_nau.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 09:18:44 -0700

Kevin,
I clone many databases and I feel very strongly that copying the datafiles and recreating the control files is totally the fastest way to go, unless you have some fast upload reload utility, but nothing can beat the speed of copying the datafiles. I would like to say that there are some pitfalls to doing this. In v8 oracle has used a dbid or unique identifier for each database. Initially I thought that this would be no problem, but I soon came to realize that rman uses the dbid and if you have a database that is a clone (created using the copy datafiles method) rman will choke because all of your db's will have the same dbid but if you are on 7.3.3 I think ebu handled clones well.

Exp/Imp I have found to be too time consuming. Hope this helped.
--glen

--
Senior Oracle DBA