Re: Transaction layer on top of Oracle

From: TimKArnold <timkarnold_at_aol.com>
Date: 02 Jul 1999 12:36:28 GMT

  We have exactly the same situation
or problem. Session B is very frustrated when after typing in a lot of changes,
the update fails. In your case how are you informing user B of the 'record being locked' by another user?

   In our case (VB & ADO) the situation is a little different because we are using bounded controls, which need to be refreshed (can be slow).   One alternative is to create your own 'IN_USE' table with Primary key and username as columns. Before selection, test IN_USE; if ok, insert into IN_USE, after update delete; if not ok, tell user B, record is locked by user A.
entry.

Regards,
Tim