Re: Multiple instances with NT

From: Tony Adolph <tony.adolph_at_viaginterkom.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 10:05:12 GMT

Hello and thanks to Alex and Sybrand,

You feedback was interesting but not very useful unfortunatey.

My attempt to rename the database failed. I changed the name in the pfile to the new name and edited the backed up control file trace to read:

CREATE CONTROLFILE set DATABASE "newdb" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG

     MAXLOGFILES 32
    ........etc etc

then I get:

CREATE CONTROLFILE set DATABASE "newdb" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG *

ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
ORA-00200: cannot create control file 'C:\ORANT\DATABASE\ctl1orcl.ctl'
ORA-09200: sfccf: error creating file
OSD-04010: <create> option specified, file already exists

All I want to do in the end is to use the datafiles and associated files that are the database on a server and with them create mulitple instances on an onther server. This is enable test teams to a database each. Obviously the SID must be different for each db, eg "test1db", "test2db" etc.

I can copy the files and start one database, but to start another I must first rename it, hence my previous posting.

Also, Folks, if I eventually do get >1 databases running when I connect internal from svrgmr which will I connect to. Do I need to start the listener and then connect via an alias in tnsnames?

I come from a Unix background and so have little or no concept of NT services. I reckon that I need a service for each SID, but I'm not sure about how this all works. When I try to create a new service (via Instance Manager) to match the new SID it complains that the datafiles for the new SID already exist (which of course they do!). I think I may be in a chicken and egg situation here!

Any (further) poitners would be very much appreciated Regards

Tony Adolph

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 05:05:12 CDT