How to view comment on tables?

From: Cheong <ccheong_at_my.lhsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:23:12 +0800

Hi there:

Adding a comment onto a row of a table is quite straight forward for me:

SQL> desc area

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 AREA_ID                         NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 AREA_DEF                                 VARCHAR2(1)
 REC_VERSION                     NOT NULL NUMBER(38)

SQL> comment on column area.area_def
  2 is 'Whatever it is';

Comment created.

Viewing the comment is NOT so easy for me:

SQL> select *
  2 from dict
  3 where table_name = 'AREA';

no rows selected

Whatever is happening to the comment on row "area_def" of table "area" which I have just created??

Oracle7 Server SQL Reference says, "Comments associated with schema objects are stored in the data dictionary."

Can someone please point out to me what have I missed?

Thanks a bunch!!

Regards,
Cheong
ccheong_at_my.lhsgroup.com Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 03:23:12 CDT