Re: Acess Memo Fields to Oracle 8 Conversion

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:38:09 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 18:31:00 GMT, ddlang_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>We are upsizing an Access 95 database to Oracle 8.
<snip>
>- If LONG is used, we need a way to read changes to the field to record
>changes and log them to history trail tables.

If you are using Oracle8 or 8i, I would recommend looking at the CLOB data type. Oracle is discouraging the use of LONG in favour of the newer LOB types. I think CLOB has a 2-gig limit. Not sure how you would implement your audit trail requirements. You could do something with triggers, but I'm assuming that you don't want to have to log a copy of the entire field when only part of it changes. Or is that not an issue?

Jonathan Gennick

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 23:38:09 CDT