Question About Oracle NLSSetup

From: Woon Cheng Peng - News <cpwoon_at_glovia.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 07:19:32 +0800

Hello,

I have a question to ask about character set during Installation. I found out that even if I select US7ASCII when creating a database on a server, I can input/retrieve Chinese characters using on a Chinese Windows98 client to the database. Why is this so? I thought US7ASCII is a 7-bit character set, but to input/retrieve Chinese (or Japanese), a multi-byte (or unicode) character is needed.

In any instance, a database was created using AL24UTFFSS character set on the server, but we were not able to retrieve the Chinese characters that was inputted from a Chinese Windows98 client, the data becomes garbage.

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards,

Woon, Cheng Peng Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 18:19:32 CDT