Re: Snapshot with a LONG/LONGRAW field

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 22:47:30 +0800

student wrote:

> Hi pete,
> i am using Oracle 8- work group version. To prepare a failover site,
> my employer doesn't agree for a hot standby.. he wants me to go for
> snapshot replication. I will try what you have suggested and will let
> you know..
>
> Thanx !!
>
> EN Nadu
>
> In article <377A9254.51628FDD_at_us.oracle.com>,
> Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > Depends on what version you're running. Oracle7 had a variety of
> mechanisms
> > to get around this limitation, none of which were very pretty. In
> Oracle8
> > you can convert the long columns to equivalent CLOB and BLOB columns,
> for
> > which replication is supported.
> >
> > Having said that, I would question the validity of a need to send
> something
> > that could be 4 Gb in size around the network! :)
> >
> > HTH.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > student wrote:
> >
> > > Dear readers,
> > > i am trying to create snapshots for tables which have a LONG column
> and
> > > LONGRAW column and i am getting the following error mesg:
> > > ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype
> > >
> > > Any suggestion for this problem will be highly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanx in advance
> > >
> > > EN Nadu

Ask your employer if snapshots were good for a failover mechanism - why would oracle build a thing called standby database...?? For fun ?

Standby database (especially in 8.1 where you can access the standby version in read-only fashion) will walk all over any similar solution implemented with replication

--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 09:47:30 CDT