Re: Acess Memo Fields to Oracle 8 Conversion

From: <tedchyn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:17:46 GMT

In article <7lgc54$l7g$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   ddlang_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> We are upsizing an Access 95 database to Oracle 8.
>
> Some of the fields are memo fields, and we would like to find a data
> type in Oracle that is as closely matched to the memo field in Access
> as possible. Two specific criteria are:
>
> - We don't want to have to specify the exact size, so we don't want to
> use VarChar if possible;
> - If LONG is used, we need a way to read changes to the field to
record
> changes and log them to history trail tables.
>
> Thoughts, comments, issues we should be concerned with? Thanks in

> advance for advice,
>
> Dixie Lang

dixie, varchar2 in oracle 8 can store quite a bit(i think is around 4k). It all depends what is longest memo field you have and what is the longest requirement for your user(s).

Ted

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 16:17:46 CDT