Re: Migrating from MS SQL6.5 to Oracle

From: Edward A. Geddis <egeddis_at_openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:26:35 -0400

You could use OpenLink's Virtuoso to connect to multiple databases. Please visit http://www.openlinksw.com to download.

General Information:

Virtuoso is a revolutionary, next generation, high-performance virtual database engine for the Distributed Computing Age. It is a core universal data access technology set to accelerate our advances into the emerging Information Age.

Virtuoso provides transparent access to your existing data sources, which are typically databases from different database vendors.

Through a single connection, Virtuoso will simultaneously connect your ODBC, JDBC, UDBC, OLE-DB client applications and services to data within Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB/2, Informix, Progress, CA-Ingres and other ODBC compliant database engines. All your databases are treated as single logical unit.

The full installation takes up less than 10MB of disk space. The actual database element takes up less than 5MB.

Virtuoso currently supports Linux ("glibc2" and "libc5" based distributions), Windows 95/98/NT/2000, and UNIX (all flavors). There are plans to port Virtuoso to the OS390, OS400, VMS, and MacOS platforms subject to demand.

--
Thanks,

Edward A. Geddis
Technical Support Consultant