Re: sqlnet.log

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:11:50 -0400

I agree with you - I don't want the log in the root directory. If it were placed there by by something other than oracle I wouldn't be so concerned, but since the oracle unix account seems to have some special kernal priviledges that other normal user accounts don't have I fear that it might be able to blow right past the barrier that prevents non-root accounts from writing to the last 10% of space in the root file system.

If I defind a directory for the log file in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora will that always force the log to be in that location for the server?

I probably have a bit of a strange situation here in that I am working with Lucent Conversant machines. Because of the way that Conversants operate it is sometimes necessary to access a remote database server. To do this we define a database link (in conversant terms a "handle"). In this case how is the location of the client sqlnet.log handled? Would it be created in the CWD of the user account that owns the programs which comprise the "conversant" application?. If so, the sqlnet.ora be placed in the home directory of that account?

I've been a dba for a while, but it has only been in the past six months that I've had to get involved with networking issues and it has been a real trial by fire for me.

Ken