DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX Problem

From: <yarch_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:44:07 GMT

Help,
I have a strange problem.......If you might have an idea of why it's happening, I would appreciate any information.

my logic loops thru a cursor...if it's unique it inserts it...if it generates a dup_val_on_index it goes to the exception logic and updates...problem is when it does an insert, it also does an update in the exception block.......??????? so, for every record in the cursor it does the update....

I looked at the index and the unique columns seem to be correct. can it be the way it's defined???

here's the general code

while x%found loop
begin

   insert (.....)
    EXCEPTION

	 WHEN DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX THEN
          begin
                 update(....
          end

fetch another record
end
end loop

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 09:44:07 CDT