Re: Copy data from server to local of oracle

From: <roguedood_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:07:20 GMT

> Hi:
> I have created a tablespace named 'orders_space' on oracle8
server.
> Now I want to move all tables in 'orders_space' to my local pc with
> personal edition of oracle8 installed. Which command I will use?

You can submit:

select table_name
  from dba_tables
 where tablespace_name='ORDERS_SPACE';

This will give you a list of the tables in that tablespace. You can then export those tables into a single export file. That export then can be imported into your personal edition database.

Also, in Oracle8i, there are Transportable Tablespaces. When using transportable tablespaces, a complete tablespace is copied from one database and "plugged in" to another database for instant availability. The tablespace has to be "self-contained", meaning it does not reference any objects outside the tablespace (there's a PL/SQL utility for determining this dbms_ttl.transport_set_check() which takes the tablespace names and constraint check boolean as params).

Once that's checked and ok, set the tablespace to read only mode w/ ALTER TABLESPACE SET READ ONLY cmd. Then, in export utility use the TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE=y flag. A small metadata file is generated, and the data files and index files are file copied at the OS level. Those files need to be referenced on the subsequent import.

There are some limitations to transportable tablespaces, but this is a great way to accomplish your task in a reusable manner. For more information regarding transportable tablespaces, check out Managing Tablespaces in the Oracle8i Administrator's Guide Release 8.1.5. (available on Oracle Technet http://technet.oracle.com).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 08:07:20 CDT