Re: BFILE with Oracle 8i on Windows NT?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 12:06:38 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Rob Mitchell" <rjmitchell_at_mediaone.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:38:11 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Can anyone get BFILEs to work on Oracle 8i with Windows NT?
>

>SQL> create directory my_dir for 'c:/temp';

                                     ^^ should be c:\temp

>OK
>
>SQL> declare
> osFile BFILE := BFILENAME('my_dir', 'doc1.txt');
                                ^^^^^^ needs to be MY_DIR

of course i'm guessing at the errors since you didn't include them... but...

when you create the directory, you named it my_dir. Object names, unless quoted, are rolled to uppercase. So, you have a directory object called MY_DIR. The bfilename api takes the name of a directory object in as a string. this string is case sensitive. you need to send 'MY_DIR' to bfilename, not 'my_dir'. If you really want to send 'my_dir' to bfilename you must:

create directory "my_dir" for 'c:\temp';

note the double quotes -- this creates a directory with an object name in lower (mixed) case.

> rc INTEGER;
>begin
> rc := dbms_lob.FILEEXISTS( osFile );
> if (rc > 1)
> dbms_output.put_line ('yes');
> else
> dbms_output.put_line ('no');
> end if;
>end;
>

>---
>Rob Mitchell
>rjmitchell_at_mediaone.net
>Base Class Technologies, Inc.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 07:06:38 CDT