Re: log_buffer parameter size

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:59:33 GMT

A copy of this was sent to tonteldoos_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 00:45:11 GMT, you wrote:

>Current database size of 250 GB.
>
>Solaris 2.5/ Oracle 7.3.4 - 20 CPU (E10K) - 20 GB main memory;
>
>We are using four 50 MB on-line red-log files.
>
>Database are very high on-line transaction intensive.
>
>Current setting for log_buffer = 2MB.
>
>If I select from v$sysstat where 'redo log space request';
>
>I get a value back of 6 450! Can anybody recommend the size of the
>log_buffer? Is it dangerous to increase it to 5MB for example? We got
>more than anouth physical memory availible!

This stat is the number of times that the background was requested to allocate space in the redo file.

This gives an indication of how many times a user process waited for space in the redo logs.

This is NOT waiting for space in the redo buffer or for LGWR to finish doing a write. The only way to get more disk space is to do a log switch. However this is slightly different from a log switch request in that another process may have already switched the logs and we do not want to do it again.

You need to reconfigure your logging. on such a big machine, 200meg of log isn't very much at all. You might consider adding *lots* more log.

among other things. increasing your log buffer *won't* affect this wait event.

>Thanks Tontel.
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 06:59:33 CDT