32-bit Clients to 64-bit Oracle Server

From: <dinurp_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 10:40:49 GMT

Hi,

We are currently using Oracle 8.0.5 on HP-UX 11.0. All our clients(PRO*C) are running on the same machine as the server and connect to the server by setting ORACLE_SID. Now we have to deploy this application on a 64-bit Oracle server. We are told this is possible, but one has to set a variable TWO_TASK to a service name in tnsnames.ora

Can some one explain the performance penalities one can expect in this setup.
# How does the penalities compare with various
protocols: BEQ, IPC and TCP ?
# Is Net8 involved in such a conviguration, even
if both client and server are on the same host ?
# Can we estimate the penalities with a similar
configuration, TWO_TASK and all, but with a 32-bit server.
# The mannuals tell that the connections on unix
are always in two task mode, as opposed to single task mode. So how is the above configuration different from the one in which ORACLE_SID is used and not TWO_TASK.

thanks for your interest,
Manju

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 05:40:49 CDT