Re: Linux -v- NT for 8.0.5 + OAS 4.0.7 + Apache/IIS ??

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:01:01 GMT

Hi

  Markus Korn <markus.korn_at_at.siemens.de> wrote:
> 1) Why NT for the database server?
> I have test it: identical machines, Oracle 8.0.5
> NT4 SP3 vs SuSe Linux 6.0
> i have used a benchmark test from ix, (www.heise.de/ix)

> Linux is in some cases a little bit slower, but in summary
> much faster than NT (on single Prozessor Machines)

Basically why I am saying NT is because of webserver/oracle combination that the poster wants to set up.

What I understand from the results/analysis of the benchmark that I read is that the linux operating systems ip/stack (note: I haven't indepth technical knowledge of tcp/ip/networking) is not multithreaded or suchlike. therfore when servicing multiple http requests, the operating system peaks at a certain level. This has nothing to do with Oracle, and NT does not suffer from this problem.

The other consideration in making my suggestion is that Oracle has just recently been released on Linux, so I assume that there may still be bugs etc.

> Why NT as a os for the webserver? Take a look to
> www.heise.de/ct there are the latest (!!!not microsoft sponsored!!!)
> performance results.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 01 1999 - 04:01:01 CDT