Re: UNIX V7 to NT V8 migration

From: <ronb1234_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 02:05:24 GMT

A few other thinks to consider...

Are you only migrating the database and the application(s) will remain on another tier ? If not (you are moving the database AND applications to NT from UNIX) be aware that many of the Oracle program name are different on NT 8.0.x than on UNIX (like sqlldr on UNIX but sqlldr80 on NT) so if you have shell scripts on UNIX that you will move to NT (you will run MKS on NT, yes??) they may not work because of the name difference. I ported a Solaris application to NT and had to have conditional logic in the shell scripts (we are running MKS) that check to see if the platform is Windows_NT and if it is, exec imp80 instead of imp, for example. Luckly sqplus is the same name on NT as it is on UNIX. On 8.1.5 NT they made the name the same as UNIX!!!! so if you can get on 8.1.5 now and forget about 8.0.x altogether it might be better.

On NT some of the init.ora parameters need to be in the NT registry or they have no effect. One example is NLS_DATE_FORMAT. If you have that parameter set in your init.ora file on UNIX to something other than MM-DDD-YYYY it will be ignored on NT. It must be in the correct place in the registry to work. The applcation I ported has NLS_DATE_FORMAT = YYYY-MM-DD HH:MI and many of the select statements in various forms and reports depended on this (the programmers didn't code to_char(date,'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MI'). A bunch of srceens and reports got all screwed up until I figured out the NLS_DATE_FORAMAT has no effect unless it is in the registry. There are other init parameters that need to be in the registry, but I don't know all of them off the top of my head.

Performance. You will see soon enough. Some things will be slower and other faster. Generally speaking, Solaris scales up better than NT so if you have 300 connections to a Solaris database and expect the same performance (depending on the specific hardware) on NT you won't be too happy.

Also, NT is a 32 bit OS while Solaris is 64. The NT OS takes up 2Gb of addressable space which leaves you a bit over 2Gb to use. If you plan on having a few databases on one box you may hit this limit depending on your sga sizes and # of users. On Solaris you will run out of CPU but not addressable space so the belief that 'NT is cheaper' is not necessary true if you have to get 3 NT boxes to do the job of one Ultra 60.

And last, If you are off site and your pager goes off because your NT database server crashed and to fix the problem you have to access that server remotly it can be a pain.

Hope this helps

Ron Bogdanoff
Sr. Software Engineer
Digital Market Inc.

In article <377931F9.6DCD86CF_at_us.oracle.com>,   Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> --------------F48F74B7D8D3AF6F634D00E1
>
> David
>
> Since they're different platforms, the easiest way to do it is an
export on the
> Unix box, followed by import on the NT box. You will need to set up
the
> correct export views, if they're not already there.
>
> HTH.
>
> Pete
>
> David Angalich wrote:
>
> > I am looking at migrating from Oracle V7.3 on a UNIX box to Oracle
V8 on an
> > NT box. Has anybody done this? If so, do you have any hints, tips
or
> > suggestions as to the best way to do this? Any ideas or help would
be
> > greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Pete
>
> --------------F48F74B7D8D3AF6F634D00E1
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Sharman;Peter
> tel;fax:+1.650.633.1669
> tel;work:+1.650.607.0109
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> url:http://www.oracle.com
> org:Oracle University, Consulting and Vertical Education;Oracle
Corporation
> adr:;;500 Oracle Parkway M/S OPL-B1024;Redwood
Shores;California;94065;USA
> version:2.1
> email;internet:psharman_at_us.oracle.com
> title:Project Manager
> note;quoted-printable:=0D=0A=0D=0A **** The statements and opinions
expressed here are my **** =0D=0A **** own and do not necessarily

represent those of          **** =0D=0A **** Oracle Corporation.
=20      ****=0D=0A=0D=0A"Controlling application developers is like
herding cats." =0D=0AKevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook =0D=0A=0D=0A"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" =0D=0ABruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA
> x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
> fn:Pete Sharman
> end:vcard
>
> --------------F48F74B7D8D3AF6F634D00E1--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 21:05:24 CDT