Re: visibly encrypting table columns

From: student <ennaadu_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:50:22 GMT

In article <377A4C5F.6E4BF1E_at_netwiz.net>,   AleX <ashteren_at_netwiz.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> is there a way to encrypt certain table columns when the user will run
> select statements on it? I.e. if i create a table with passwords as a
> column, is there a way to just scramble it somewhat when one runs a
> select statement on it?
>
> Thanx.

Hi alex,
  if you want the column data to be scrambled, there are couple of options.. 1. If you are using a front end tool like Oracle Forms4.5, then you can write a trigger and get the stuff scrambled and putit into the database. 2. If the front end does not have this feature, then you can write a database trigger, such that before insert, you can scramble the value for that particular column.

EN Nadu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 18:50:22 CDT