Role-sharing among users?

From: EG <anonymous_at_web.remarq.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:08:07 -0800

I have a situation that I would like to get some feedback on: We have a simple tool that lets a certain group of users generate simple reports or log new comments to a few tables. Each report is kept in a new table, with a naming concention of: "day_mm_yr_userID". We would like to have any of these users access/view/modify these reports and logs, and also delete them or replace them with new ones, regardless of who originally created that piece of data.

Each user may also be involved with other projects and may have his/her own private data that should not necessarily be  made accessible to all the other users.

One obvious solution was to share a common user id/password among all the users but that is not going well with the information security personnel and also with our user group since they will have two user id/passwords to remember instead of just one.

I guess the problem is simply: how can we share data among users on a per project basis, where each user may be involved in multiple projects. Can we manage this through roles, and how?

Thanx,

Eric