Re: connection lost while complex function is working

From: Jens Loebling <jens.loebling_at_o-tel-o.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:44:17 +0200

ruenagel_at_my-deja.com schrieb:
> =

> In article <377956D5.FA462CB9_at_netwiz.net>,
> AleX <ashteren_at_netwiz.net> wrote:
> > "Frank Rünagel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > My clients use Forms ad Report and
> > > are connected via telphone-line and tcp-ip
> > > to the server.
> > >
> > > If there are complex functions called,
> sometimes the network-connection
> > > is lost. Is there a solution that (big and
> slow) stored procedures
> > > or functions called by reports/forms
> > > send back to the client some kind of "Hold
> the line" message?
> > >
> > > Perhaps somebody has some advice for that
> problem? Thank you.
> > >
> > > Frank Ruenagel
> > >
> > > 'A practical man is a man wo practices the
> errors of his forefathers.'
> > > Whitehead
> >
> > Can you be more specific? Is there a networking
> (meaning the o/s level)
> > connection lost or is there a sqlnet connection
> loss? Which Oracle rdbms
> > are you on? what's the client version?
> >
> =

> It's oracle 7.3 and there is a networking
> o/s level connection lost: the router simply
> has a timeout and hangs up. We do not want
> to increase the timeout. So the called function
> or the listener/server (?) should periodically
> send some kind of TNSPING to the client. Is it
> possible?
> =

> Frank Ruenagel via dejanews
> =

Hallo =

I don't know the best solution but you can ping your host in aother window. This keeps the route =

open. "ping -t hostname" is the command in NT. Maybe you have a 3th. party tool that alouws you to set the time between 2 messages.
Best way is to connect your network administrator.

Jens Loebling Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 12:44:17 CDT