Re: Controlling the Priority of Oracle Sessions

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:00:51 -0700

Doug

It is strongly recommended NOT to change the priority of any Oracle sessions. You could end up with a lockout of the database as a session with low priority takes out a lock and can't get back in to release it. Everyone can end up queuing on that lock (unlikely situation in reality, but it can happen).

Having said that, there is a different way of doing what you want in 8i. You can set up resource profiles and allocate users to them so that they get more (or less) resources. Have a look at the concepts manual on technet.oracle.com if you don't already have 8i to see what it's capable of doing.

HTH. Pete

--
Regards

Pete