Newbie - easy question but URGENT!

From: Julian Cowking <jcowking_at_hrmsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:57:16 +0100

Hi there,

This URGENT since I have just got my hands on a copy of Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 (for NT) and need to persuade my manager that we should buy it.

Now, although i have loads of experience with SQL Server my Oracle knowledge is sparse to say the least.
I want to be able to create many databases on my Oracle Server to hold my differing releases of products.
So, I followed the manual's instructions on how to create a new database and everything worked fine. So, I have a database with SID XXXX now (with NT services aswell and catalog.sql and catproc.sql ran successfully)

Next step is to connect to it (using Net8 Easy Config). However I get the error message 12505 ORA-12505 TNS:Listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor.

What am I doing wrong? How do I connect to the non-default database?

Also, when I have all these databases setup I will need to connect to a specified database using ADO and a datasource. How does the datasource distinguish between databases (i only get a server name input to fill in when constructing the DSN)

Thanks for your help - i need it!

Julian Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 09:57:16 CDT