Re: Oracle8 orainst on Solaris 2.6: "cannot execute"?

From: <dannypacheco_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:54:44 GMT

I installed Oracle8i on Solaris 2.7.
The oracle user should also be part of a group called oinstall, since this group will own some of the directories. You wrote that you were trying to run orainst, I'm not sure if Oracle8 and Oracle8i are the same, but I used a script called runInstaller supply on the CD.
BTW the four mounting points should not cause you a problem.

In article <3777d093.31892919_at_24.2.0.71>,   junkmail_at_greyswan.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got this rather annoying little problem happening while trying to
> install Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition on Solaris 2.6.
>
> I've downloaded the installation instructions PDF file from Oracle
> Technet and have followed all the instructions up to the point when
> I'm actually supposed to run the orainst shell script. In other
> words, the following are true:
>
> 1) Solaris user oracle exists and is part of the group dba.
> 2) The appropriate environment variables have all been set (these
> include ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_SID, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
> ORACLE_TERM) and I've made the needed changes to the PATH variable.
> 3) I've edited /etc/system to modify the kernel shared memory
> parameters recommended in the Oracle documentation and restarted the
> machine
> 4) Created the oratab file using the oratab.sh script
>
> The only thing I did not do that the document recommended was create 4
> separate mount points for the Oracle installation (1 for the product,
> and three for the databases). I didn't do this because I just don't
> have any free disk space to create more mount points. And this
> database is simply for my development and toying around, if it crashes
> my life will go on uninterrupted.
>
> Now, when I log in as the Oracle user, cd to the
> /cdrom/oracle805/orainst directory and run the orainst shell script
> (I'm running in Bourne shell, BTW, as the Oracle documentation uses
> Bourne shell in its examples), the machine chugs for a few seconds,
> and then I get the following error message:
>
> ./orainst: ./orainst.cm: cannot execute.
>
> A check of both orainst and orainst.cm shows me that both of these
> files are set executable by everyone, so I would assume that's not the
> problem. My guess is that some library needed by orainst.cm is
> missing or not in my path. Can anyone give me some guidance as to
> what I might be missing here? Could this be caused by not having all
> the mount points the docs recommend?
>
> Chuck.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 08:54:44 CDT