sqlnet.log

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:49:53 -0400

In the absence of a sqlnet.ora file in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, how does oracle determine where to put the log file? For some reason the sqlnet.log files seem to crop up in a variety of places on my system and so far I haven't seen a real pattern.

Also, when does sqlnet.ora get read? When oracle starts? When the listener starts? When the system reboots? Is there any way of controlling the level of information sent to sqlnet.log in a manner similar to the say that the level of data to listener.log can be controlled?

I've seen some references in the past to a .sqlnet.ora (note the '.' at the beginning of the name - it is a hidden file) that is to be placed in the home directory of a unix user account. Does anyone know anything about this? Supposedly it overrides the system level sqlnet.ora.

The reasons I ask all of this is because one of the systems I work with seems to have a habit of placing sqlnet.log in the root directory. The root file system on this box is already pretty full and I just don't need to have log files being created there. However, I'm also interested in learning whatever else anyone knows about all of the things I mentioned.

Ken

My os: Unixware 2.1.2
My rdbms: Oracle V7.3 Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 08:49:53 CDT