Re: multirow inserts

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:42:37 GMT

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:58:10 -0700, "C." <c_ferguson_at_rationalconcepts.com> wrote:

>I just have to say, I feel like Alice in Wonderland...
>Ok answer's are intermingled:
>
>huh wrote:
>
>> Cindy,
>>
>> Is it ensured that dual contains one and only row?
>
>Yes.

No, not really. Anyone who have adequate permissions can insert/update/delete from this table.

>> Could you tell me more about this table?
>
>You will find this table documented in the SQL Language Reference
>Manual, (that's my server 7 copy) and probably in the same area of the
>Oracle 8 docs.
>

>> - permissions (everyone has select access only
>> or it is possible adding additional rows?)
>> You select only from dual.

As I said, this is not the case. Anyone who can connect as SYS or INTERNAL or who has been given appropriate role/system privilege/object privilege, can do with this table whatever he/she wants. Of course this is very undesirable situation that can lead to very undesirable and surprising results. Another reason why you should be very restrictive when deciding to whom you will grant extremely powerful grants (like DBA, DELETE FROM ANY TABLE, DROP ANY TABLE, etc...).

For example, if you notice that anytime you use a sequence by selecting its nextval from dual the sequence is incremented by 2 instead of by 1 you should check if by any chance your dual contains 2 rows instead of one.

>> What about the locking?
>> None, you can select only from dual...

No, it is possible to lock it, just like any other table.

>> BTW: Can I find description of all system
>> tables - purpose, relations, column description, ...?
>> Does ORACLE provide information similar
>> to MS Back Office Knowledge Base (
>> Bugs & fixies description, Informal articles ...)?
>
>I am unfamiliar with MS Back Office Knowledge Base.
>Visit the Oracle site for that information. And even though I'm not a
>fan of this answer,
>Read the Manuals.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Cindy

HTH, Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Jun 29 1999 - 15:42:37 CDT