Re: Oracle Users

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:52:00 -0700

Nadia

Oracle comes with two standard users:

SYS - the owner of the data dictionary
SYSTEM - roughly equivalent to SYS, but doesn't own the data dictionary. This is the one a lot of DBA's use to manage the database if they don't create a specific account for this.

INTERNAL is not a user. You won't see it defined in DBA_USERS. Basically it's a super-SYS equivalent, with powers to start and stop the database. It's going away in some release (I think someone on this newsgroup once noted it as 8.2 where it becomes obsolescent).

There are two roles (sets of privileges) in the database called SYSOPER and SYSDBA. These are granted to particular users to do their work. For example, a DBA could create an account called DBAMANAGER and grant it SYSDBA. They could then connect DBAMANAGER as SYSDBA, and have the capability to do anything in the database, including starting and stopping it. SYSDBA is the replacement for INTERNAL, if you want to think of it that way. SYSOPER has the same privileges as SYSDBA, except users connected with that role cannot perform time based recovery. It's designed to be given to operators (but to my way of thinking it's too powerful to let an operator have access to).

There are other users that may be defined depending on the options you have installed (Spatial and Context both have their own SYS-like users, for example). SCOTT is the demo user as you've seen, and there may be others.

HTH. Pete

--
Regards

Pete