Re: Oracle Gateway for DB2/400

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 23:02:38 -0400

Hi Bernard:

We use Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2/400 (Oracle7.3.4 and Oracle8.0.4, OS/400 V3R2) and Oracle Access Manager for AS/400 (same versioning). OTG lets you create database links that point to an AS/400 rather than another Oracle instance, making the AS/400 *look like* another Oracle instance, with some limitations:

  1. Performance is not great with OS/400 V3R2 (the AS/400 native SQL processing stinks in earlier versions of OS/400). I *think* you'll get better results with OS/400 V4Rx. There are a few tricks you can use to improve performance:
    • The ORACLE subsystem on the AS/400 is created by default at a run priority of 30. You can re-create the subsystem class definition with a higher run priority (get you AS/400 sys admins to help, it requires a backup of the library).
    • In the TNSNAMES.ora member and the connecting Oracle server, set the SDU (session data unit) parameter to a larger size (up to 32K). This will reduce network round trips.
  2. Commits are handled a little differently between DB2 and Oracle. On a commit, Oracle closes write cursors but leaves read cursors open; DB2 closes both, unless you specify a COMMIT WITH HOLD. You obviously can't specify COMMIT WITH HOLD in Oracle, so this problem will show up if you create stored procedures that open a CURSOR loop against files on the AS/400. When you perform a COMMIT in the stored procedure, the AS/400 will close the reading cursor; on the next fetch, you'll get a "FETCH OUT OF SEQUENCE" error back from the AS/400. The work-around is to not do any COMMIT's until you've finished FETCHing.
  3. Reliability is pretty good. The ORACLE subsystem on the AS/400 is actually just a TNS listener process, so as long as that is running reliably, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck,

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site